Am I boring people by even writing this post? Today I stopped to think about my blogging practices. And it got me wondering… does that question even matter? What the heck is a blog anyway? Here’s the Wikipedia definition.
A blog is a website where entries are made in journal style and displayed in a reverse chronological order.
Blogs often provide commentary or news on a particular subject, such as food, politics, or local news; some function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, web pages, and other media related to its topic. Most blogs are primarily textual although some focus on photographs (photoblog), videos (vlog), or audio (podcasting), and are part of a wider network of social media.
With such a broad definition it is difficult to say there are any rules to blogging, it’s pretty wide open. This brings me great relief. It means that I’m not doing it wrong, and ultimately, that it can’t be done in a wrong way (kind of like eating a Recees.) So, who cares if I am boring. (I guess maybe I do but, but I have to get over myself and just write anyway). NOTICE: if you are bored right now there is a simple solution… click on the red x at the upper right corner of the page.
With all of this in mind however, I recognize that people have expectations. Though, even as I say that I am wondering… who are these people I keep talking about? Who reads this? Who are you? (great now I am humming that theme from CSI). Anyway, I feel that it may be beneficial to list a few simple guidelines that I intend to follow when it comes to blogging. And, like everything else on here… it’s for me not for you (obviously, because there are no official rules to blogging).
Guideline #1: It’s my journal, so I’ll write in it whenever I want to. "Whenever" allows room for rediculious amounts of posts in a day as well as extended breaks without explaniation or apology.
Guideline #2: It’s my journal, so I’ll write about whatever I want to. Example: “4:05 pm - I saw a squirrell looking at me through my bedroom window today. Not sure what that means yet.”
Guideline #3: It’s my journal, so I don’t really expect anyone to read it. I’m smart enough to know that my life isn’t one of fame. If anyone is reading this (espeically at this point) it’s because a.) you know me and you are really curious about what is going on in my head, b.) you know me and just love me anyway. c.) you are really bored. d.) none of the above. e.) other: _____
Guideline #4: It’s my journal, but I won’t use that freedom as an excuse to make annonymous slams on people who won’t ever read this thing anyway. Example: “This one guy that I know is an idot. He has a red car and lives in my town and goes to my school and is in all my classes and has a funny haircut, but I won’t name any names.” That would be lame.
Guideline #5: It’s my journal, so I’m not going to stress over my excessive use of commas, or obsession with parenthetical phrases (even if it drives people [whoever they are] crazy).
If you don’t blog, maybe you should start. Just think how much you could have written while you were reading this.
2 comments:
i would say "good post", but then, that would suggest praise based on some transcendental rules for blogging.
so... i guess my answer is... "a."... no... "b."... maybe "c." (after all, i AM commenting at 3:57a.m. because i can't sleep)
so maybe my answer is "e."... "other"... as in "all the above except "d."
Great stuff. These are good. Happy Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment