Friday, January 05, 2007

Notes on The Godbearing Life: Offering a "thin" God

I'm reading this book right now called, The Godbearing Life and when I first picked it up I didn't realize that it was released nine years ago. The funny thing is that I am finding truths within this book that I wish I had embraced nine years ago. Such is my life... constantly finding things and wishing I had found them earlier. I could moan about that frustration, but I think it would be better to respond by simply becoming more active about searching out the books and ideas that are influencing the church.

Anyway... here's a quote that hit me pretty hard:

"Our own faith is often desperately undernourished, and we question the integrity of sharing scrawny faith with teenagers who know the difference between Chicken McNuggets and a full-course meal and who are starved for the latter. We know how quickly teenabers rip through thin faith. Teenagers can find thin gods anywhere, and if the God of Jesus Christ isn't more awesome and substantial than the seething rush of the mosh pit, the ecstasy of LSD [or the drug of choice], the mystery of sexual intercourse, the security of cash, the affirmation of the A or the adulation of the cheering crowd in the gym - then why bother with Christianity at all? Thin gods are available by the dozen, and teenagers see right through them. If we are honest, so do we."
(p.16-17, brackets mine)

I have to stop and think about the God I am offering to others (or even the kind of God that I am currently following). Am I inviting them into something that can be described with the words rush, ecstasy, mystery, security, and affirmation? Am I living those words myself?

No comments: