Last night at our student gathering we combined the Jr. & Sr. high groups. We occasionally do this for a change of pace. Since we were together ben taught and I was able to lead the students through an Ignatian Examen exercise. Below is a transcript of the exercise.
Westwinds Student Journey – 03/04/07
A guide to Ignatian Examen
We believe God is constantly revealing himself to us in our experience. But noticing God’s presence in our lives is something that we can easily overlook, though it’s not hard to see when we slow down and allow space for God to show us.
Examen of the Week
1. Stillness: Take time to settle and feel relaxed.
Psalm 37:7 (NLT)
Be still in the presence of the Lord,
and wait patiently for him to act.
2. Light-Seeking: When you are ready to begin, ask God to help you to see and to understand how His love has been working within you over the last week. Ask God's spirit to enlighten and guide your thoughts.
3. Reflection: Begin to let yourself remember the last week... Recall those times when you were aware of being thankful (this could be for simple things like a walk or coffee with a friend). Notice what was life-giving or creative, where you felt there was a flow, an ease of being or an openness of heart towards others, even in difficult situations.
Don't try too hard... let come what comes at first when you ask these questions:
- When did I feel best able to give and receive love?
- What caused in me an increase in faith, hope and love?
- Where was I drawn to God?
- In fears, in joy, in pain, in creativity?
- In prayer, scripture, creation?
- In work or leisure?
- In family, friend, church, neighbor?
- Did I feel myself being nudged or prompted in any particular way?
- Out of all the week’s experiences, is there one experience, that I feel most grateful for?
Rest in these moments…
Give thanks.
Psalm 117:2 (NLT)
For he loves us with unfailing love;
the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever.
Praise the Lord!
4. Sorrow and Regret: Look again back over the week asking these questions…
- When were you aware of God's absence?
- When did you feel least able to give or receive love?
- What caused in you a decrease in faith, hope and love?
- When did you fail to respond to His love at work in you?
- Without harsh judgment, just let yourself look at that experience.
- In the light of God's love - what would you like to say to God about that time, event, experience?
Psalm 51:1-2 (NLT)
Have mercy on me, O God,
What does God want to say to you?
Psalm 51:17 (NLT)
The sacrifice you want is a broken spirit.
A broken and repentant heart, O God,
you will not despise.
Hope for the Future: And now, coming back into the present:
- What insight, revelation, or grace did you receive from the experiences of the last week?
- Having reviewed the last week - What would you like to bring into this week?
- Find a word or a phrase or an image to represent what you'd like to bring into the New Week...
- Write that word, phrase, or image on the small paper you have.
- Keep that word or phrase or image in your heart over the next week.
Psalm 107:1 (NLT)
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good!
Ask God for the grace to move into this new week with love, faith and hope... for the grace to bring more of what gives us life... for the grace to continue to recognize God in our daily life...
Additional Resources:
the Jesuites
2 comments:
Joe, thanks for your response to my questions. Also, I liked the examen. I'll use it myself soon, if that's OK with you. I lead a youth group and I am minister for our church's contemporary worship services. I can see it working in both contexts.
Richard,
feel free. I got most of it from the source sites I listed so ht to them. I just tweaked it a little so it fit better in my context. I hope you and those you lead find it beneficial.
Peace,
joe
Post a Comment