I read this book last night. It's a quick read but there is a great message in the book. If you've followed some of my other book postings lately you know that I've been reading a lot about career choice and calling or "vocation" (I've been focusing on this material because I am teaching a class right now to a group of seniors on choosing careers). And you'll know that I struggle being a dream releaser and being realistic. This book leans heavily on the side of dream releasing but does so in an appropriate way. Kevin Carroll does a great job of encouraging readers to find their red rubber ball, or the thing that they are truly passionate about. This is done by simply looking at your own joys. What you do for fun. What you love to do. He seemed to say that usually we'll excel in jobs that are related in some way to that thing we love. If it's sports, we may not make the NBA but, as in his case, we may become an athletic trainer for an NBA team. We'll enjoy jobs that in some way embrace the things that are important to us. As I write that it sure sounds like a no brainer. I wonder why so many people out there hate their jobs? I've been really liking my lately.
Monday, January 08, 2007
Rules of the Red Rubber Ball
I read this book last night. It's a quick read but there is a great message in the book. If you've followed some of my other book postings lately you know that I've been reading a lot about career choice and calling or "vocation" (I've been focusing on this material because I am teaching a class right now to a group of seniors on choosing careers). And you'll know that I struggle being a dream releaser and being realistic. This book leans heavily on the side of dream releasing but does so in an appropriate way. Kevin Carroll does a great job of encouraging readers to find their red rubber ball, or the thing that they are truly passionate about. This is done by simply looking at your own joys. What you do for fun. What you love to do. He seemed to say that usually we'll excel in jobs that are related in some way to that thing we love. If it's sports, we may not make the NBA but, as in his case, we may become an athletic trainer for an NBA team. We'll enjoy jobs that in some way embrace the things that are important to us. As I write that it sure sounds like a no brainer. I wonder why so many people out there hate their jobs? I've been really liking my lately.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment