I was asked...
What sorts of "bridges" could we build from contemplation to action? I mean, we are sitting on our comfortable couch contemplating (with coffee, of course). What can motivate us to action? What sorts of "strategies" might we use, what sorts of theological principles might we put in place to encourage this move?
I want to suggest five bridges that must be crossed on that road that leads us from contemplation toward action. They must all be crossed before action can be realized fully. Order is important.
Bridge #1: Integrity & Conviction
Contemplation forces us to come fact to face with ourselves. Time spent with God quickly reveals areas in our life where we are living with cognitive dissonance. Our values say one thing but our lives are not congruent with that message. The contemplative life leads us toward a life of integrity. I believe Dietrich Bonhoffer called this “becoming one man”. In my experience, that process is like coming out of a cave (so maybe you want to think of this as a covered bridge). Once we have begun living a life of integrity (in the light) we begin to develop deep convictions in line with the heart of God.
Bridge #2: Voicing
As our convictions deepen we begin to voice them. This is a two stage process. So we may want to envision a bridge here that has two levels. The first level is individual voicing. This is the kind of action we take around our friends. It is the “quiet testimony” of John Woolman as described by Richard Foster. (Streams of Living Water, p.140). The second level of is social voicing. This includes any public platform that can be used for creating awareness about injustices.
Bridge #3: Passionate Struggle
In our journey from compassion to action we must be aware of the struggle that will rage inside us. Foster describes Woolman’s struggle as “great distress”. We will face opposition and sometimes that opposition will come from within ourselves. We will want to give up and stop fighting because the issue is too big or we fear offending others and dishonoring God, or we feel alone. Ronald Rolheiser reminds us that "the struggle for justice and peace is not ultimately about winning or losing but about fidelity... Short-term political effectiveness is not as important as long-term fidelity to personal conscience, personal faith, and personal charity." (The Holy Longing, p.188). This is a narrow bridge across a deep chasm that can only be walked alone.
Bridge#4: Creative Mind
Passionate struggle leads to a creative mind. On this bridge we begin to get ideas and energy for our journey. We see things in new ways and see old obstacles as new stepping stones for achieving our goal. Imagine a sturdy bridge with a great view. This may be the most fun we have had on our journey so far.
Bridge #5: Modest Spirit
In this final stage we are forced onto a narrow bridge which will not accommodate our ego. We must leave it behind to press forward into our action.
It may be important to note the bridges to injustice as well. I see three.
This takes many forms including physical, emotional, economical, political, and even ecclesiastical.
Yes the enemy uses creativity too.
I think of this as negative voicing. We may be voicing our deep convictions but those dealing injustice will be more than ready to do their share of voicing as well. We must be aware.

3 comments:
I was reading through the devo classics and I am on something by Jonathan Edwards entitled
"religious affections" or affections of the heart, and although I was just beginning to comprehend what he was saying I had no idea what that looked like in terms of steps.
I was greatly encouraged to find this post of yours and realize there is some order to all of this!
The words of other Christians (past and present) disillusions the idea that we are alone and confused in this journey.
It is a comfort and a great resource!
Hope, you make a good point in connecting Edwards with this concept. I have a tendency to put everything I see in order. Even items at the grocery store. It's a blessing and a curse. In this case, I'm glad it was helpful. - joe
dude - great post. I linked it to my blog.
Post a Comment